Have an Impact on Children!
Please Consider a Donation!
To Donate by mail please send to;
Mountain States Children’s Home, 14780 N. 107th Street, Longmont, CO 80504
Thank you so much for your help!
Remember that when you give this year you will help us and you will benefit as a Colorado Resident through the Colorado Child Care Contribution Tax Credit.
Check out the Colorado State Income 35 form to see how to take advantage of this opportunity. Please check with your tax advisor.
Ways You Can Get Involved
Donors and Volunteers Together Help Mountain States Children’s Home Succeed. There are many, many ways our donors help our children.
- Appeal Gifts
- Automobile Donations
- Scholarships for children to attend Longmont Christian High School
- Cash, Check or use your Credit Card when you click the Donate Now Online button
- Change Cans (through business, individual, church, etc.)
- Christmas Gifts – During the months beginning in November through December we make available Christmas ideas for the children
- Congregational Giving
- Endowment Funding
- Fund a Child – Help a child with their program expense and encouragement to success
- In Kind (landscape material, concrete, house supplies, maintenance, etc.)
- Items that can be sold for funds (in Benefit Auction, MSCH Thrift Store, etc.) or used in the homes
- Memorial and Honorariums
- Monthly Gifts – Donations can be set up through your bank for Direct Deposit
- Monthly Gifts through the MSCH Calendar – Each month has a reminder envelope for giving
- Mountain States Children’s Home Thrift Store – Stop, Drop and Role
- Planned Giving
- Sponsor a House – Provide some of the needed support for a cottage family through encouragement and funding
- Wish Lists – There are lists of current needs on the Website under “Wish Lists” for the campus school, each of the houses, the counseling program and the farm
Other – Tell us your idea!
Campus Wish List
The Campus Wish Lists are excellent ways to help with continuing costs for each of our homes, counseling, school, and farm.
Cottage 1 Wish List
Houseparents (Updated April – June 2021)
Baking Dishes (various sizes-smaller than 9×13)
6 Teen Boy Twin/Twin XL Comforters
6 Outdoor Patio Furniture Cushions (bottom/back)
Outdoor Patio Umbrella
Walmart Sam’s Club King Soopers
Cottage 2 Wish List
Jeff & Shelly Grow- Houseparents
(Updated July – September 2021)
- Outdoor Patio Table & Chairs (Seats 6-8)
- Flat Screen TV and TV Stand
- Surge Protector Power Strips
- Treadmill or Elliptical Machine
- Giant Bean Bag Chair
- Outdoor String Lights (LED/Remote controlled)
- Strong Men’s Mountain Bikes
- Xbox Gift Cards
- Play Station VR
- Skateboards and Safety Gear (Helmets/Pads/Tools to maintain)
- Bike Helmets (Teen/Adult Male)
- AA/AAA Batteries
Walmart Target Regal Movies McDonalds
Popeyes Subway Red Robin Arby’s
Texas Roadhouse Chili’s Chick-Fil-A Panda Express
Wendy’s KFC/A&W Smokin’ Dave’s Cracker Barrel
Recreation (Tickets/Passes for 6):
Boondocks Batting Cages Elitch Gardens
Water World Denver Zoo Carbon Valley Rec Center
Roller Skating Sunset Swimming Pool Fort Fun (Ft Collins)
Bandimere Speedway Lakeside Amusement Park Longmont Rec Center
CO Rockies Games Denver Broncos Games Summit/Wild Game
Cottage 3 Wish List
Tom and Greta Clark – Houseparents
(Updated July – September 2021)
- Sensory Toys/Devices
- Zebco Fishing Rods & Reels & Basic Tackle
- Copper Cookware
- How To Train Your Dragon Book/DVD Series
- Heavy Duty Can Opener that leaves smooth edges
- Keurig Cleaner/Supplies/Pods
- Older Girls/Women’s Snow Gear (Size 12/14 (girls)- Women’s Large)
- Older Girls/Women’s Winter Hats/Gloves
- New Women’s Converse and Athletic Running Shoes (size 8 & 9)
- Argan/Coconut Oil for Hair
- Cantu Organic/Sulfate Free Hydrating Shampoo/Conditioner and Hair Products
- Acne and Skin Treatment Products (Biore, Cerave, Cocoa Butter, Neutrogena Grapefruit, Coconut, & Argan Oil)
- Garden Hoses
- Sprinklers for Winter Watering
- Kitchen Shears
- Spin Mop and Bucket (O’Cedar Easy Wring Mop- Sam’s)
- Corel White Serving Dishes for Baking
- Bath Towels, Hand Towels
- Kitchen Towels
- Batteries (AA/AAA)
- Sistema Klip It 3pk
- Extra Chewing Gum
- Swiffer Jet Refill Packs
- Bissell Cross Wave Dry Wet Vac
- Yard Games: Yardzee, Cornhole, Horseshoes, Badminton, Volleyball Net, Basketball Standing Hoop, Etc
- Computer Cases for Laptops
- Dry Erase/Cork Boards for Girl’s Rooms
- 2” Foam Twin Bed Supports
- Window Fans
- National Parks Pass
- County/State Parking Pass for Open Areas/Trails
- E-470 Passes/Vehicle Credits
Harbor Freight Home Depot Chick-Fil-A
McDonalds Sonic Famous Dave’s
Dickey’s Target Safeway
King Soopers Chilis Walmart
Panda Express Little Caesars Movie Theatres
Summit-Windsor Burger King Get Air
Golden Corral Cracker Barrel Black Eyed Pea
Cottage 4 Wish List
John & Kathy Oberholzer- Houseparents
(Updated July – September 2021)
- Steam Mop
- Blu-ray DVD player
- Home Depot
- King Soopers
- Red Robin
- AMC/Regal Theatres
- Blackjack Pizza
Cliff and Christine Young- Houseparents
(Updated July – September 2021)
- Water Toys/Guns/Floats/Boards
- Outdoor Yard Games
- Large Outdoor Umbrella
- 10 Camping Chairs
- Camel Hydration Backpacks for biking
- Teen Bike Helmets
- Teen Elbow/Knee Pads for Skateboarding
- Basic Fishing Rods & Reels and Fishing Tackle
- Wrist Guards
- Paper Shredder
- Upholstery Shampooer
- Electric Pencil Sharpener
- Open Space/Trails Annual Pass
- Rocky Mountain National Park Pass
- Longmont Rec Center Passes
- Denver Zoo Pass
- Denver Museum Pass
- Summit Passes
Amazon Walmart King Soopers
Hobby Lobby Panda Express Sonic
Chili’s Wendy’s McDonalds
Dairy Queen Chick-Fil-A Taco Bell
Texas Roadhouse Red Robin Metrolux Theater
AMC Regal Movie Theater
Counseling Department Wish List
Dustin Smith- Director of Social Services
(Updated July – September 2021)
- Sound Bar Speaker System
- Movie Projector
- Hydration Backpacks for Running/Biking
- Jump Ropes (Speed Ropes Sizes 5’-6’6’’)
- $25 Amazon Gift Cards for Treatment Guides, Books, Etc.
- $25 Gift Cards for Lunches with Teens/Houseparents
- (Sonic, Panda Express, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, A&W)
- K-Cup Coffee Cups
- Conquer Negative Thinking for Teens (Mary Alvord/Anne McGrath)
School Wish List
School Supplies Needed for Students – August 2021
If you are donating to the school, please specify “school” on your donation.
- 50 Red pens– Bic works well
- 100 Blue pens
- 50 Colored pens other than blue, black or red
- 100 Mechanical pencils
- 10 Simple calculators with square root
- 10 Rolls of tape for dispenser
- 24 Steno pads – 6”x9” with spiral at top
- Graph paper – several packages or one large ream
- 12 2” 3- Ring notebooks – hardback
- 20 Expo markers –strong colors (not black)
- 4 White board cleaner spray bottles
- Neon colored copy paper – 1 ream that includes pink and lime green
- White card stock – 1 ream
- 20 Poster board sheets – white and colored
- 10 Individual pencil sharpeners that contain shavings
- 10 Pencil bags or boxes
- 6 Boxes of quality staples
- Post It Notes of all sizes
- 20 Clear plastic rulers
- 1 Box of manila file folders
School Room Needs
- 2 sets of computer speakers either wireless or with USB connection
- 27” roll top laminator – used is fine if working
- 15-20 ft. HDMI cable
- Electric ball inflator
- 20 Birthday cards appropriate for teens, 300 birthday plates, and napkins
- Keurig cups – Starbucks Pike decaf and McDonald’s regular
Gift Cards or money towards:
- Amazon gift cards for text books
- Wal-Mart gift cards for supplies
For Friday afternoon reward activities:
- Fast food – McDonald’s Wendy’s Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, etc.
- Local bowling passes – Centennial Lanes, movie passes, etc.
- Denver Nature and Science Museum passes, Imax, etc.
- Denver Zoo, Boondocks in Thornton, miniature golf, etc.
- Longmont Ice Pavilion, Get Air Trampoline Park, Dizzy Family Fun Center, etc.
- Go Carts, Batting cages, etc.
Farm Wish List
Roy Rush- Farm Manager (Updated April – June 2021)
- Air Impact Wrench
- Pickup Bed Toolbox
- Post Hole Digger (Hooks on tractor/skid steer)
- Stock tanks for water
- Big Garage Door for Shop
- 15” pipe for irrigation underground from highway to irrigation ditch
Volunteers Help MSCH Go!
There are over 300 volunteers that contribute their time and talent to this unique and special work. Check out our Volunteer page for more information. There are many opportunities to help around the MSCH campus or at the Mountain States Children’s Home Thrift Store. COVid has changed some of our volunteer opportunities but please contact us to see how you can serve. Thank you!
TRANSITIONAL LIVING PROGRAM
Transitional Living Program Need: $2,750,000 – Critical components such as housing, a loving family, a safe and secure environment, education, counseling, and emotional support work together to complete the comprehensive and deeper level of care we provide. However, due to state licensing regulations, these components abruptly stop once teens graduate from high school. They still need our guidance and support. Due to the lack of thorough family support, our children step out into an adult world without job skills, few of life’s daily maintenance proficiencies, no effective adult mentor-ship, and little emotional support. The Transitional Living Program is the solution. Our goal is to design a program that provides a system of support and service to young adults to help them achieve self-sufficiency. Whether they choose college, trade school, or enter the workforce, this program will continue to provide financial assistance along with other critical needs essential to achieving their career goals. This program is voluntary and requires participants to actively engage in the adult living preparation process. Our system of support will help the participant in the following areas: Tuition, Housing Allowance, Transportation, Living Expenses, Health Insurance, and Life-Skills Coaching. We will provide a goal-driven, structured environment for young adults (18-23) that will include ongoing involvement, accountability, and periodic evaluations. The vast majority of children are not ready to enter the world just because they have turned 18. The Transitional Living Program will allow MSCH to assist children beyond graduation.
SAVE A HOME
Save a Home Need: $1,280,000 – House #3 has been home to numerous children since it was built in 1974.Over the years, due to expansive soils common along the Colorado Front Range, the foundation will soon need to be replaced. Additionally, the basement walls are beginning to shift inward, causing other structural issues. Many other repairs are necessary including a kitchen renovation, roof replacement, sewer line repairs, and window replacements. Professionals have advised us that it is more cost-effective to replace the entire house rather than repair every issue.
SAFE & AFFORDABLE TRANSPORTATION
Safe & Affordable Transportation Need: $170,000 – Wouldn’t it be great if vehicles could run forever? Unfortunately, they don’t, and our vehicles are growing less reliable. With good stewardship, we have been able to drive our passenger vans up to the point of nearly 200,000 miles. However, at this point, it is more cost-effective to replace these vehicles rather than continue maintenance. Still, more importantly, we always seek to prioritize the safety of our children. When transporting children to church, events, and appointments, we need to ensure that we can depend on our transportation to get them and our staff there safely. The Suburbans in need of replacement are used for thrift store pick-ups, pulling trailers, food collections, and transporting children. The Suburbans we currently use have more than 200,000 miles and it would be more worthwhile to replace them rather than to continue repairs.
EXPANSION OF OFFICE SPACE
Expansion of Office Space Need: $300,000 – Therapeutic services at MSCH continue to be a critical component in our work with children and families and is part of the comprehensive and deeper level of care we provide. This program helps children work through their emotional trauma and heal from their wounds. On average, areas of therapeutic concern are reduced by more than 50% in the child’s first year at MSCH. With the increased number of children in our care and the necessary support staff, the size of our counseling center and office need to be increased. The solution is to add on to our existing building which will accommodate more room for our counseling staff, conference room, and workspace.
Other Important Ways to Give
Online Funding Opportunities
There are many ways you can help support our kids.
Donate directly to Mountain States Children’s Home
Colorado Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Program
Thank you for helping the children of Mountain States Children’s Horne. The Colorado Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Program provides a state tax credit for contributions made to a qualifying child care organization or fund. Mountain States Children’s Home qualifies for the Colorado Child Care Contribution Tax Credit, so you may be able to claim an income tax credit of 50% of your total contribution. Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Certiﬁcation (DR 1317) certifying your child care contribution will be sent for qualifying donations.
For more information please review Colorado Dept. of Revenue FYI Publications – Income Tax, Income 35: Child Care Contribution Tax Credit
Check with your tax advisor about this opportunity to help children and also receive this special tax break.
Mountain States Children’s Home Thrift Store accepts donated items to be sold to raise money for MSCH. You can also come shop or volunteer to help this special home.
For more Thrift Store information call. 303-834-9510.
After you select MSCH 0.5% of all or your Smile.Amazon.com purchases will go to Mountain States Children’s Home.
Held in December of each year, Colorado Gives Day is an all-day event to help nonprofits raise funding. You can also donate through this site all year long. Below are other ways to give through the Colorado Gives website.
We have created opportunities and reminders through Direct Mail to help our children.
- First Gift – February
- Phone Campaign – March-April
- Spring Appeal – May
- School Appeal -August
- End of Year – November
Special Funding Opportunities
The General Fund is a non-restricted reserve fund to be used for cash emergencies and other needs to offset or reimburse operations for unexpected business expenses such as capital projects or special needs as authorized by the board.
The Education Fund is used to offset our graduating resident’s educational expenses who desire a post-secondary education at any school, college, or trade school. All earnings are re-invested with withdrawals to be taken at the end of each year, only if needed, and approved by the board. to offset resident educational expenses which have not been budgeted.
The Medical Fund is used to offset those unplanned resident medical expenses that happen with our children. Earnings are reinvested for fund growth and withdrawals are taken at the end of each year, only if needed, to offset these unexpected resident medical expenses.
MONETARY GIFT (MONTHLY PLEDGE)
Monetary Gift (Monthly Pledge)
The simplest and most common way to make a gift to Mountain States Children’s Home is by giving a monetary gift. Not only are these gifts the simplest, but they are also among the most important. You may want to specify which project you would like to support or your gift can be undesignated. If you would like to designate a specific purpose for your gift or honor a loved one or friend, please indicate this on your check or on the form provided.
Planned giving can generate current income tax benefits and future estate tax savings, as well as a current income stream. At maturity, such a gift passes to Mountain States Children’s Home either to fund the endowment or to be applied to one of the other ongoing projects. Types of planned giving include Gift Annuities, Bequests, and gifts of IRA’s or other retirement plans.
CHARITABLE GIFT ANNUITIES
Charitable Gift Annuities
A gift annuity is a transfer of cash, marketable securities, or other assets to MSCH. In return, MSCH agrees to pay a fixed amount of money to one or two individuals for their lifetime. Based on a predetermined formula, a gift annuity agreement with Mountain States Children’s Home is established as part gift and part annuity. This formula, combined with the donor’s age, determines an annual income payment or annuity. The higher the donor’s age, the higher the rate of annuity.
GIFTS OF SECURITIES
Gifts of Securities
Giving stocks and bonds that have increased in value after you have owned them for more than one year may provide greater tax benefits than giving cash. Your charitable income tax deduction is equal to the fair market value of the securities. You also avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the fair market value over the original cost of the asset.
GIFTS OF REAL ESTATE
Gift of Real Estate
A gift of real estate held longer than one year provides a charitable income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the gift. You are not liable for capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the property.
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
The simplest and most common way to make a gift to Mountain States Children’s Home is by giving a monetary gift. Not only are these gifts the simplest, but they are also among the most important. You may want to specify which project you would like to support or your gift can be undesignated.
Don’t have the funds to give financially but still want to support the work of MSCH?
There are many other ways you can play a part in impacting these children’s lives.